Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- 2020, Doctoral Degree, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California - Berkeley
- 2014, Master's Degree, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences, University of California - Berkeley
- 2012, Bachelor's Degree, Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology-Kanpur
Somil Bansal is an Assistant Professor at the Department of Electrical Engineering of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. He received the Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences (EECS) from the University of California at Berkeley in 2020. Before that, he obtained a B.Tech. in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, and an M.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences from UC Berkeley in 2012 and 2014, respectively. Between August 2020 and August 2021, he spent a year as a Research Scientist at Waymo (formerly known as Google Self-Driving Car project). He has collaborated closely with companies like Skydio, Google, Waymo, Boeing, as well as NASA Ames. Somil has received several awards, most notably the Eli Jury Award at UC Berkeley for his doctoral research, the outstanding graduate student instructor award at UC Berkeley, and the academic excellence award at IIT Kanpur.
Somil is broadly interested in developing mathematical tools and algorithms for control and analysis of autonomous systems, with a focus on bridging learning and control-theoretic approaches for safety-critical autonomous systems. Specifically, his research focuses on understanding how learning and control should be combined to achieve intelligent, adaptive, data-efficient, and safe autonomy for robotic systems, especially when the robot is operating in an uncertain environment or alongside humans.
Research keywords: robotics; learning-based control; safe learning; robot learning; perception-based control.
- 2020 Eli Jury Award, Department of EECS, UC Berkeley
- 2019 RSS Pioneer
- 2019 Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award, UC Berkeley
- 2011 Academic Excellence Award, IIT Kanpur